YWCA NENY’s counseling program offers free trauma-informed individual and group domestic violence counseling in a confidential setting. We offer support and empowerment groups integrated within the community as well as at our main campus each week.
We also offer economic empowerment counseling, promoting financial independence and self-sufficiency while in a counseling-like-private setting. These counselors have specialized training in career readiness, credit counseling, continuing education, workforce development, and community resources available to gain income or experience in a desired field. Additionally, YWCA NENY has a professional clothing closet on site to help you look your best!
In Fall 2019, YWCA NENY’s Family Violence Prevention Program began offering counseling for children (with or without a non-offending parent) who have been affected by domestic violence. This violence prevention program aims to prevent child abuse and stop the generational cycle of violence, allowing participants to work with a licensed counselor and participate in a mentorship program. More information about that program is below.
Please contact our Intake Counselor at 518-374-3394 ext 142 to schedule an appointment or inquire about further information.
Flexible hours available. Virtual, phone, or in-person support is available.
Domestic Violence Support Groups
Groups are available for victims (16 years and older) who are abused or have been abused. There is no fee for the groups. Open sessions are held at the YWCA NorthEastern NY.
Call 518-374-3394 ext 142 for further information about groups, including current days and times for the open group.
Family Violence Prevention Program
Through the Family Violence Prevention Program, we are able to put a focus on preventing future violence for generations to come.
Here’s how we can help:
- Individual & family counseling for victims and their children ages 5-17
- Evidence-based program shown to interrupt the cycle of violence and create healthier family dynamics
- Leadership opportunities for parents who complete the program and want to help others
- Social/educational opportunities for families sharing similar strengths & challenges
- Create a safe space for your family to strengthen communication skills and build new, healthy attachments
For more information about the program or to schedule your first appointment, please call 518-374-3394 ext 144.
Human Trafficking Program
This program is a free, gender-inclusive counseling program for survivors of all ages who have experienced sex and/or labor trafficking.
- Safety Planning
- Referrals to community agencies
- Case management
- Legal Assistance
- Medical Assistance
- Substance Use Assistance
- Referrals to YWCA programs
- Safe Shelter
- Economic Counseling
- Art Therapy
- Education & Outreach on Human Trafficking
- Any other avenues of assistance clients may need
For more information on this program, please call 518.418.6910
Incarcerated Women’s Program
Provides education and referral to incarcerated women about issues related to domestic violence and other issues of women’s empowerment. The program works with women to increase their knowledge of and access to community resources.
Virtual Support Group
This group covers a wide variety of issues including self-esteem, communication, problem-solving, goal setting, domestic violence, sexual assault, and other issues of importance to women.
Other Programs & Groups
- Virtual Women’s Empowerment Counseling Groups
- Healthy Relationship Groups at Schenectady County Schools
- Guyanese Girls Empowerment Group at Schenectady City Schools
- Anger Management & Conflict Resolution Groups at the Boys & Girls Club
- Help Save the Next Girl Club Empowerment Group at the Boys & Girls Club
If you are in need of counseling services, please fill out the form below and our intake coordinator will be in touch.
If you are in imminent danger call 911
If you would like to talk to someone on the domestic violence hotline or are seeking shelter call 518-374-3386