Reading helps us in many ways! We are able to escape to new places and learn new things. It helps us be better learners, it helps reduce stress, and it’s FUN!!! Here’s an article about why reading is good for us: https://www.businessinsider.com/14-reasons-why-reading-is-good-for-your-health-2016-12
YWCA NorthEastern NY wanted to find a fun way to encourage everyone to read as well as celebrate all those who are already reading! There is NO FEE to enter – we know that times may be difficult for many people and families. One of the best parts about reading is that it doesn’t cost a thing as long as you are able to get some books.
If you don’t have any books around, there are lots of ways to find some. If you are able, you can order books online – we highly recommend shopping local and visiting the website or using the personal shopping service of one of our favorite stores – The Open Door Bookstore (visit their website for more information). You can even earn extra entries by shopping with The Open Door (see below) because we value supporting the small businesses that make up the fabric of our community and who could use the extra business right now. Additionally, many services are offering free or discounted digital downloads, you can borrow digital books from the library (please visit your local library’s website to learn more; click for Schenectady County Public Library), and there are lots of Little Free Libraries around – there’s even one in front of YWCA NENY! But please use caution when selecting or sharing physical books – make sure you wipe them down and wash your hands to help stop the spread of COVID-19.
In addition to a fun reading program, we are also hoping to raise some money to support our Early Learning Centers, where reading is an essential part of each day! No donation is required to enter and participants won’t receive any extras by giving – except for extra thanks from us!
Adults and kids are welcome to enter, though anyone under the age of 18 must be entered by a parent/guardian. Please indicate the entrant’s age on the tracking sheet so we know which category of prizes to enter them into…we’re pretty sure your 5-year-old won’t want a grocery store gift card!
There will be numerous prizes, including gift cards to local businesses. We are still gathering them, so we don’t yet have a complete list. Entrants will be entered into drawings based on age categories that are to be determined. Prizes will be age appropriate. If you own a business and would like to donate a gift card or item to be used as a prize, please email YWCA NENY.
There are a few steps you must follow:
- Register to win online by clicking HERE.
- Read one (1) chapter book or five (5) children’s books.
- Submit the completed form(s), which can be found HERE, by emailing it to YWCA NENY.
- You will earn one (1) entry for each completed section of the form that you submit. A completed section means either one (1) chapter book or five (5) children’s books listed. There are three (3) sections per form.
- If you’re having trouble downloading the form, email YWCA NENY to ask for a copy.
- A picture of the completed form is acceptable. Please make sure the photo is clear.
- Entrants are allowed to submit as many forms as they wish. For example, if you read ten (10) chapter books during the contest period, you will receive ten (10) entries…or more if you take advantage of the ways you can earn extra entries.
You sure can! Here’s how:
- Send us pictures of you reading that you are okay with us sharing on our social media pages (like Facebook and Instagram) or our website. On social media, we will share them along with the hashtag #YWeRead. You will earn one (1) entry per picture. You are limited to ten (10) extra entries this way.
- Email proof that you purchased books from our friends at The Open Door Bookstore: https://www.opendoor-bookstore.com/. There is no limit to the number of entries you can receive by purchasing books at The Open Door. For example, if you purchase books five (5) times from The Open Door during the contest period and email YWCA NENY with proof each time, you will receive five (5) extra entries.
This contest is sponsored by YWCA NorthEastern NY. It begins on Friday, April 3, 2020. There are no fees associated with this contest. It is free to enter. Making a donation to YWCA NorthEastern NY does not increase your chances of winning. This contest is open to adults and children, though entrants under age 18 must be entered by their parent/guardian. Entrants (or entrant’s parents/guardians) must complete the online registration form and submit the tracking sheet to be eligible. Entrants may submit as many tracking sheets as they wish. Entrants will receive one (1) entry for each completed requirement – either one (1) chapter book or five (5) children’s books read. Each entrant should submit their own tracking sheet – do not combine multiple entrants on one sheet. By submitting your pictures to YWCA NENY, you are giving YWCA NENY permission to use those pictures for this contest or future contest promotions on their website and social media. Entrants will be entered into drawings based on age categories that are to be determined. Prizes will be age appropriate. Prizes will include gift cards to local businesses. Random drawings will be done at the end of the contest period, which is yet to be determined. The end of the contest period will be announced one week before the contest ends. Winners will be notified by phone and/or email. Any questions can be sent to email@example.com. Void where prohibited by law.