YWCA NorthEastern NY is looking for a few dedicated volunteers for the CASH Program for the 2012 tax filing year. Here is some background information on the program.
- C.A.S.H. stands for Creating Assets, Savings and Hope.
- VITA stands for Volunteer Income Tax Assistance. VITA increases awareness about available tax credits for working individuals and families. One of the ways this is done is through free tax preparation at VITA sites located throughout the greater Capital Region.
- It is a group of community organizations – CASH Coalition – that work together to promote financial stability and asset building.
- These groups, along with the IRS, create VITA sites to prepare tax returns for individuals and families with incomes at or below $45,000.
- The YWCA NorthEastern will be joining other agencies and business at the Ellis Health Center on McClellan Street to establish a VITA site.
- C.A.S.H. programs educate families about the EITC (Earned Income Tax Credit) benefit. This benefit could give families an additional refund up to $5,800.
The VITA site will be open for filing on or around January 18, 2013 until April 15, 2013. The opening date is based on the IRS guidelines, the final tax laws need to be passed and implemented into the tax programs to begin accepting returns.
Each volunteer needs at least a basic IRS certification. There are three types of certification: basic, intermediate and advanced. There is a training and certification process for tax preparers. Volunteers are needed for tax preparation, and greeters.